Re: XWin.log

Harold Hunt wrote:

> Rasjid,
>
> Well, you can suggest it, but you're going to have to program it as well.
>
> The problem is that we don't know the screen number at the time that the log
> file is opened.  We could have one general log for pre-screen number
> messages and then screen specific logs that take all messages after that
> point.  However, that would be bound to aggravate other users...
>
> Multiple screen support is still spotty, so it doesn't make much sense to
> have multiple screen log support until the bugs are worked out in multiple
> screen support.

Harold,

I think you have misunderstood what I meant.  I don't mean the screen
number(s), I mean the display number.  By default, XWin uses display 0
(zero) on port 6000.  But if I run

XWin :5 -screen 0 1024x768 -screen 1 800x600 -query <IP.address>

then XWin starts two screens on as single *display* (5), using port
6005.

Each XWin can only have a single display number, and I would be
surprised if this is unknown at the time the log file is opened, as it
is either 0 (zero) by default, or is passed as an explicit parameter.

In the above example, I'm suggesting a *single* logfile /tmp/XWin5.log.
The reason I suggesting this is that you can have multiple copies of
XWin.exe running.  However, each copy of XWin.exe running must have a
*unique* display number.  It is therefore the obvious way of
differentiating the log files of each XWin.exe process so they don't
clobber eachother.  (I guess the PID could be another choice, but the
display number has the advantage of either being 0 or explicitly given
by the user and therefore easily identifiable.)

BTW, I think you and all the Cygwin/XFree86 team are doing a fantastic
job.  Keep up the good work.

Rasjid.