RE: sound support more info - kde2 porting status

> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 02:29:04AM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> >The problem is caused by dll_list:alloc() in the loop "Search for space
> >after the DLL".  I have found that in one app the exit after
> >VirtualQuery() and in other app the exit after if (i == RETRIES)
> >occures.  After looking around I tried to increase the RETRIES constant
> >to 1000.  This fix the error.  Hmmh, does this really fix this ???
>
> If setting the number up fixes the problem, then, yes, it probably is
> a real fix.  However, read on.
>
> >Can anyone tell me, whats could be going wrong with this stuff ?
>
> The loop that you presented (which I snipped) is trying to find space
> just after a just-loaded DLL in which to place info on the DLL.
>
> If it really has to go through 1000 regions of memory to find a place
> for this, then it could potentially be pretty slow.  This would show
> up as slow loading of DLLs.
>
> You'll also see some slowness from other regions of this file on
> the forked process are in the same location as the parent.  Windows
> does not offer a way to do this, so cygwin kludges this behavior
> by all available space up to the point where the DLL should load and
> then loading the DLL.  This is a very slow operation and it may
> be why you are seeing slow loading of DLLs.
>
> Anyway, I checked in the RETRIES increase so it will be in the next
> snapshot and, eventually, 1.3.4.

Thank you for your help. I think I have to analyse this a little bit more.

> Btw, are you able to use gdb since yesterday's update?

I have tested gdb (GNU gdb 5.0 (20010428-1))) after I have got your mail
and I'm able to debug, but I haven't updated gdb in the last four weeks.
The only thing I have updated in the last days is cygwin.

Regards

Ralf