xmodmap, xkb and XF86Config

Hi,

I've read a lot of questions on this list asking about support for a
foreign keyboard, and a lot of answers about xmodmap.

As I've never used xmodmap on my Linux box, I was wondering what the
difference is between xmodmap and the "XkbRules", "XkbModel" and
"XkbLayout" option in /etc/X11/XF86Config.

All the keyboard layout files in /etc/X11/xkb in Cygwin seem unused.
What is their purpose ? Is there a way to configure a foreign keyboard
using an XF86Config-like setup, or to generate an xmodmap file from
those keyboard descriptions ?

I'm sure that I'm not the only user to be puzzled about this. Maybe it
would be worse adding this in the FAQ.

Laurent Pinchart