Re: Esound 0.2.8 is dead - Esound 0.2.23 compiles fine

Ok, looking at esound as you asked :].

audiofile 0.2.1 is a prerequisite for esound, so I checked that first.
It's built very happily for me since I built a static-only gnome over a
year ago, so I didn't expect any problems. For this network audio effort
I've .dllised it. The resulting package passes all tests via make check.

Note that when you run make install, unless you have set your configure
prefix to /usr, or added /usr/local/bin to your path, the .dll won't be
found at run-time.

There are a number of compilation warnings with 'empty definition', that
I haven't looked into yet. Unless a bug is reported, I'm not going to
bother looking at them either :}. These are not, AFAIK a result of
.dllising audiofile.

Anyhow, the patch, which is about 700kb, is attached. It's so large
because of the generated autotools files - no actual code changes have
been made at all.

This patch will *not* be acceptable to the maintainers for the simple
reason that this is using a non-released libtool to achieve the .dll
creation. That support is targeted for libtool 1.5 at the moment, time
constraints on the libtool folk may set that back though.

The changes made are:
automake 1.4->automake 1.5
libtool 1.3->libtool-1.4-rbcollins
VPATH build capability added. (Some bad use was being made of automake
constructs that was trivially fixed).

For 'source' file changes search the patch for Makefile.am and
configure.in.
The patch includes the generated autotools files, so there's no need for
anyone who wants to try it to have automake etc installed. In fact I'd
advise against running any of the autotool commands - you'll then have
to grab my libtool from Chuck Wilson's site and install that to get it
going again.

Have fun, and I'll look at esound tomorrow.

Rob