RE: Bad performance a common problem?

I also found Cygwin/XFree86 performance to be very slow on my Win98
system
(for example, the mouse cursor just seemed to hop around, instead of
moving
smoothly).  By watching the MS "System Monitor" while starting &
terminating
processes, I found that ssh-agent was driving Kereal Processor Usage to
100%.
Because I'm running local & not connecting to any other systems w/ X, I
commented out the line in startxwin.sh and the Kernel Processor Usage
dropped
to 50-75%, depending on the other processes I was running (like Netscape
&
XEmacs).  Performance is MUCH better!.
Is this 'normal' for ssh-agent?

steve roush

> To: <grey_hat at lycos dot com>, "Cygwin XFree86 list" <cygwin-xfree
at
> cygwin dot com>
> Subject: RE: Bad performance a common problem?
> From: "Harold Hunt" <huntharo at msu dot edu>
> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 20:57:36 -0400

> Tim,

> Did a 'normal' install work better than the 'minimal' install?

> Performance problems with Cygwin/XFree86 do happen on certain
machines.  I
> use Windows 2000 with limited third party software and have never had
> performance problem.  I used an HP Windows Me machine last week loaded
with
> crap software and experienced the worst Cygwin/XFree86 performance I
have
> ever seen.  I would call the performance unusable, just as you did.

> Now, do we know the root of the problem?  No.

> Will we maybe look into it if you, or another person with the same
problem,
> provide us with detailed information?  Yes.

> Will we look into it otherwise?  No.

> Harold

Koenig