From: 	Plamen Alexandrov <alexandrov@okto7.com>
To: 	Armin Hartinger <armin-ml@hartinger.ws>
Subject: 	Re: get rid of dos window?
Date: 	12 Dec 2001 15:41:24 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Armin Hartinger" <armin-ml@hartinger.ws>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 3:08 PM
Subject: get rid of dos window?

> Hello all,
>
> I've been using Cygwin/XFree86 for myself for a while now and I'm
quite
> happy. Great work! However, I'm planning on migrating my kids and wife
> to using Linux on an Xserver on their Windoze-machines (they play
games,
> so no way around that really) for all their internet activity. IE
might
> still be installed, hard to get rid of it, but the individual machines
> will not be able to connect to the outside internet.
>
> Anyway, to the point: I want to just throw a batch-file into the
> windows-startup folder, which starts up the X-server and subsequently,
> their Gnome-desktop starts up automatically. I'm almost there, but is
> there no way to get rid of the DOS-window which accompanies the
X-server
> application? I've looked around and asked but ppl seem to think that
> when an app sends output to STDOUT (for lack of a better term atm),
the
> DOS-window will stick around.
>
> Any way known to get rid of it?
>
> Sure, it's nit-picky, but I want to make the setup as newbie-friendly
as
> possible. After all, it's already hard enough to sell them on the new
> setup as it is ...
>
> -Armin

 Free Utility: Quiet

The archives of Joeware.Net have a number of intriguing Windows 2000 and
Windows XP utilities, but one that caught my eye is a little program
called
Quiet (http://home.earthlink.net/~joewarenet/win32/zips/Quiet.zip).  The
idea is simple: you use Quiet to run a program in such a way that the
program doesn't show up on the task bar, but will appear in Task Manager
(or
any other app that you use to enumerate processes).  Obviously, logging
off
will kill any processes spawned through Quiet.