Re: cygwin xfree86 consumes memory

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 03:25:21PM +0100, Nagy Tibor wrote:
>Did somebody observed that Cygwin/Xfree86's memory usage suddenly
>increases, causing Windows getting slow?
>
>I start Cygwin/Xfree86 and 50 konsole (KDE console) in it. I see in
>Win98 performance monitor that CPU usage is 15%, memory usage is  70MB,
>free physical memory 20MB and swap file size is 30MB. Than I start 5
>konsoles more and sudenly CPU usage is 60%, memory usage is 96MB, free
>physical memory 0MB and swap file size is 280MB!!! and the whole system
>is getting very slow.
>
>What is this?

Haven't you seen the rumors?  Red Hat is being acquired by America Online
Memory (AOM).  All of our applications will now consume massive amounts
of memory as a matter of company policy.

So, please buy an extra gigabyte or so of RAM.  It will make us very happy.
Remember, all AOM RAM comes with a shiny installation CD complete with
100 hours of free memory access.

cgf

(Just to stave off the invevitable email:  No.  I'm not serious.)