FW: XDMCP starting problems on Win2k & RH 7.2

Darryl forgot to cc the mailing list.  No biggie.

Harold

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl Wagoner [mailto:darryl@shecora.com]
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 10:38 AM
To: Harold Hunt
Subject: RE: XDMCP starting problems on Win2k & RH 7.2

Harold and the group,

> If at all possible, as a diagnostic test you should connect only the two
> computers in question together on a separate test network, making sure to
> set each machine up with a static IP address.  Then try to login via XDMCP
> on the test network.  If XDMCP works fine on the test network,
> then you have
> some sort of misconfiguration on your primary network (which is what I
> suspect).

My net configuration is fairly simple.  It is a local 10Base-T with
4 systems on it(Win2k, linux and 2 Win98).  The Win2k is the
firewall to Starband sat connection.  The thur-put is around 75% 800Kbyte
per seconds in both directions.  Other network applications works flawlessly
include XWin32 if I start it without XDMCP.   Spray from Linux has
zero packet drop as well.

> You still haven't told us the speed of the network between the machines.
> Cable modems do not work as fast as 10Base-T, so XDMCP doesn't
> usually work
> very well over a cable modem.

Sorry about that it is 10Mbit.  I been around this type of network for
years and most of the time I can smell a network problem.  I think the
simple answer is that I don't understand xdmcp very well and I have
something configured wrong.  I have been able to get a XDMCP login
for a while.  I just bounced the Linux server in hopes that will help.
It seems to have help.  I will keep you posted.

Also I am using static IPs for the local area.

thanks for all your help.
--
Darryl Wagoner - WA1GON

Your phone line can be the life line for the unemployed. Sign up today at:
http://www.proud-americans.org/

*** Please pass the word to at least three others. ***

"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing."  - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]> > > >