Re: Win98 Error - "Could not create primary surface"

Hi Harold,

I updated my display drivers, and the problem is fixed !

I cannot thank you enough !

Now I don't have to ask the system group
to install expensive x-server on my PC, I have full
control !!

(and yet again the myth of "no support/help for free software"
was shattered ... )

Thanks a million times ..

Gal.

Harold Hunt wrote:

> Gal,
>
> > I'm trying to install xfree 4.0.2 on Win98/cygwin.
>
> Just a quick check before I delve into the details:  you did mean _4.2.0_,
> right?  If you meant 4.0.2 then we probably can't help you :)
>
> > A more specific error message is given in
> > the xwin.log file (attached). Also, the cygwin.out file
> > (result of running 'cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out').
> > is attached.
>
> Thanks for supplying XWin.log, that really helped to diagnose the problem.
>
> I looked up DirectDraw error 8876024e, which is named:
> DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE.
>
> Basically I'm going to guess that your video card drivers are not very
> cooperative with DirectDraw.  The most likely solution would be to try
> upgrading your video drivers and make sure that you have DirectX 8.1
> installed.  Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to upgrade DirectX 8.1
> (and to get lots of other Windows bug fixes, etc.).
>
> Let us know if new drivers fix the problem.
>
> Harold
begin:vcard
n:Aviel;Gal
tel;fax:972-4-8551786
tel;work:972-4-8551550
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Zoran Microelectronics Ltd.;DTV Team
version:2.1
email;internet:gala@zoran.co.il
title:VLSI Design Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;Advanced Technology Center=0D=0AP.O.B 2495;Haifa;;31204;Israel
x-mozilla-cpt:;6224
fn:Gal Aviel
end:vcard