RE: 8-bit PseudoColor

Mark,

> Now 4.2.0, last week I'm not sure.  I just redid my whole windows
> partition
> and so I have the latest Cygwin/XFree.
>
> I just tried it in non full screen mode with Windows in 16 bit
> color and it
> failed.  Is this what you felt shouldn't happen anymore?  Or just that I
> shouldn't have to run it full screen?

Well, Windows doesn't allow each program to run at a different bit depth, so
if you want Cygwin/XFree86 to run in 8 bit color in windowed mode, you have
to run Windows in 8 bit color.  The -depth 8 parameter only applies
when -fullscreen is used because we can change the bit depth for the screen
when we are running in a DirectDraw-based fullscreen mode.

Does that make sense?

So it makes perfect sense that your 8 bit application would fail when
running Cygwin/XFree86 in windowed mode with Windows in 16 bit color.

What I was saying is that if you run Windows in 8 bit color, then
Cygwin/XFree86 4.2.0 should work just fine with your 8 bit color
applications.

So, please run Windows in 8 bit color and let me know what happens.