RE: XDMCP to Solaris Hangs on specific W2k systems, not all

Harold-

Thanks for the info.

First, some new info -- I accidentally left a "hung" session open overnight
and returned to find the CDE login window! It turns out that it *does* work,
but takes roughly 15 - 20minutes before the actual login window appears
on the "non-working" systems. Additionally, some apps don't appear to work
properly even after the login succeeds. However, if I use the same login on the
working system, all apps work as expected. The error messages lead me to
believe it is a font issue of some kind....which appears to be supported by
looking at a successful login vs. a hung one...the line it's hung up on appears
to do with fonts.

On Solaris 8, we are connecting through the server process dtlogin.
When running that in debug mode, I find that the difference between the
"hanging" machines
and the working one is:

-- snip --
(chi70:0) setLang() - Current Lang = C
(chi70:0) setLang() - Desired Lang = C
(chi70:0) setLang() - Locale has NOT changed
(chi70:0) LANG=C
(chi70:0) Source(): /usr/dt/config/Xsetup

This is where it "hangs"...when I connect with the working system, it is
identical (except for IP address)
but continues after the "Source()" line as follows:

--snip--
(chi54:0) ApplyFontPathMods() for chi54.chicago.jgsullivan.com:0
(chi54:0)   Foreign display
(chi54:0) setLang ()
(chi54:0) setLang() - Current Lang = C
(chi54:0) setLang() - Desired Lang = C
(chi54:0) setLang() - Locale has NOT changed
(chi54:0) LANG=C
(chi54:0) Greeter environment:
.
.
.
--snip--

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Patrick

At 09:00 PM 2/9/2002 -0500, Harold Hunt wrote:
>Patrick,
>
> > Yes. I've had no problems running XFree86 locally.
> > In addition, I've been able to run remote X apps on the
> > machines that don't do XDMCP via ssh and setting DISPLAY.
>
>Okay, then you want to run xdm in debug mode to get some more information.
>Alexander Gottwald has described this process many times... one of them is
>at:
>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-01/msg00253.html
>
>Let us know what you find out from xdm.
>
>Harold

Patrick K. Jaromin                    w 312.943.1600 / 312.475.2487(direct)
VP Technology                         m 312.907.9093
Sun Certified Java Developer          e Patrick@JGSullivan.com
Sun Certified Java Programmer         p PagePat@JGSullivan.com
JGSullivan Interactive, Inc.
320 West Ohio, Suite 3-East