RE: DirectDrawCreate

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Harold Hunt wrote:

> Oops, I forgot all about that.
>
> Unfortunately, it has to be done via GetProcAddress because the DLL
> containing DirectDrawCreate may not exist on a machine, which would cause
> XWin.exe not to run at all, rather than for it to run with the GDI engine.

So we have a bigger problem. We already link to ddraw.dll. Cygcheck reported
for the old version:

Found: .\XWin-debug.exe
.\XWin-debug.exe
  C:\WINNT\System32\DDRAW.dll
    C:\WINNT\System32\MSVCRT.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
        C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
    C:\WINNT\System32\USER32.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\GDI32.DLL
    C:\WINNT\System32\DCIMAN32.dll
    C:\WINNT\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.DLL
  C:\WINNT\System32\SHELL32.DLL
    C:\WINNT\System32\SHLWAPI.DLL
    C:\WINNT\System32\COMCTL32.DLL
  c:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
  c:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll

But on the other hand, Even the win95a (the oldest win32 os I have around)
had this ddraw.dll (V 4.08.00.0400) . And no one has ever reported that the
dll was missing.

The only difference between

    proc = GetProcAddress
    (proc*)(...)

and

    proc(...)

is that the second does not need the dll with the symbol on startup. And even
if the symbol is not found in the dll, we still have the null-check and can
(have to) skip the call to DirectDrawCreate.

> I basically implemented the process described in the MSDN Library and
> Platform SDK about how to check that DirectDraw is present.  I'm not sure
> that there is any other way to do this.

Maybe they described a procedure which was needed on win3.11.

bye
    ago

NW: Boys Don't Cry - the ending made me kind of upset
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017
 4. Chemnitzer Linux-Tag http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/lt4