cygwin-xfree configuration problems

As I remember there are a number of configuration files that need to be used
to set up an XServer on Under SCO, Linux, IRIX, and AIX.  I image this is
also true of cigwin-xfree.  It's been a long time.  I've looked in the man
pages and I'm finding it a bit difficult to determine which of the following
files are used and when.

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
/etc/X11/server/XftConfig
/etc/X11/server/SecurityPolicy
/etc/X11/server/system.xsm
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

$HOME/.xinitrc
$HOME/.Xsession
$HOME/.Xauthority
$HOME/.*

I can't find readme's or man pages that explain how to setup each of these
files, although I have read XWin, X(7), Xserver(1), xdm(1), xinit(1)
manpages.  Is there any supplementary documentation that can help me.  I'm
particulary interesetd in configuring security, and optimizing XWin
performance.