RE: Ttmkfdir TrueType font directory prep tool (binary for Cygwin)

Sam,

Very interesting.

I downloaded ttmkfdir, ran it, and successfully added my TrueType fonts to
the available fonts in XWin using xset.  However, I have tried numerous
times, all unsuccessful, to start XWin with only the TrueType fonts via
the -fp and -fn parameters to XWin.

The first modification to make is obviously:

XWin -fp /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Fonts

I know that the above is correct, because if you drop the trailing 's'
you'll get an error that the font path can't be added.  Thus, the font path
command is correct.  However, you then get the "could not open default font
'fixed'" error.

To fix the default font error I have tried to change the default font with
the -fn paramter:

XWin -fp /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Fonts -fn "Microsoft Sans Serif"

or

XWin -fp /cygdrive/c/WINNT/Fonts -fn Verdana

I have tried tons of variations on the above, including lower case versions
of the font names, quotes, no quotes, etc., but all of them result in the
error of the form "could not open default font 'Microsoft Sans Serif'".

I'm stumped.  I can't understand why I can see the Microsoft Sans Serif
(albeit, in all lower-case) font in the list of fonts provided by
'xfontsel', yet I can't seem to specify a new default font.

Specifying the font path and a new default font on the command line is
highly desireable for the people that are trying to develop the absolute
minimum size Cygwin/XFree86 distribution as possible.

If anyone has any hints, I'd appreciate it.

Harold