Re: missing telnet, solution

From: "Christopher Faylor" <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
> wasn't.  It never occurred to us that people wouldn't be able to figure
> out that you could click on things and see packages to install.  But,
> that was the case.

Give me a break. I'm not stupid.  The documentation for Cygwin/XFree said
"All packages, downloaded size of 56.1 MiB as of 2001-04-19, are selected
for download by default; I do not recommend changing the list of packages to
download unless you really know what you are doing:". This is on page:

   http://cygwin.com/xfree/docs/ug/setup-cygwin-downloading.html

I just followed the docs and it didn't work because telnet was missing. All
I am suggesting is that the documents be updated so that if people follow
them then they will be successful. I also suggested adding a line to the
Cygwin package list that says "You can use SETUP.EXE from the installer to
add packages from this list.". It was not obvious to me that the same
installer is used for installation and also for adding packages after
installation.

I also publish free software so I appreciate the eforts that have gone into
Cygwin and XFree86. But when people tell me that they have problems with my
docs, then I try to correct them (the docs, not the people). I don't
understand why there has been so much resistance from this group to making a
couple lines of change to the docs.  They are simply out of date and could
easily be corrected.

Sometimes things seem obvious to the developer but only because the
developer already knows them. It is possible that reasonably intelligent
people cannot read the developers mind and may need to read the docs
instead.

Phil Burk