Re: Can multiple remote sessions be run simultaneously under v4.2.0?

Greetings,

Thanks to all for the quick replies.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to
get a workable configuration together yet.  I have tried both combinations
of screen 0 & 1 designations with XWin:

Separate invocations:

	start /B XWin -screen 0 <width> <height> -query <host1>
	start /B XWin -screen 1 <width> <height> -query <host2>

Single invocation:

	start /B XWin -screen 0 <width> <height> -query <host1> -screen 1 <width>
<height> -query <host2>

And I have also tried setting the display to alternate values:

	start /B XWin -display :0 -query <host1>
	start /B XWin -display :1 -query <host2>

as well as all combinations of display & screen (0.0, 1.0, 1.1, etc) for the
two sessions, both via the command line and the DISPLAY environment
variable.

The results are almost always identical, first XWin starts and connects to
host1.  However, when the second server starts, the first screen appears to
be reset to and empty X server session (just blank background) while the
second server connects to host2.  When I am finished with host2 and quit the
second session (close the window), then the first session gives me a login
prompt at host1 again.

It appears as though there is some hardwired common display behavior that is
common among all server instances, even if they are started from separate
XWin processes.

I'll keep plugging away at it.  I did setup VNC on the remote hosts again,
to do what I needed to do simultaneously on host1 and host2.  It does seem
that VNC is much more of a bandwidth and processor load than XFree86, which
doesn't really surprise me.  (If my remote host screen saver kicks in within
a VNC client window, it nearly brings my laptop to its knees, but in the
same circumstance XFree86 is smooth.)

Victor Atkinson
Syracuse, NY, USA