Re: info: single install xfree86 + minimal cygwin?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The base cygwin install provides, er, a base cygwin install.  That's the
> default for the Cygwin installation.  There is currently no XFree86
> package in the cygwin installation at all.

They could create a custom install if they wanted. The Cygwin setup
program can download packages from any site. They would need to select
the packages for a minimal install, create a new setup.ini, and mirror
those packages on their download site.

> I would love for someone to post a proposal for inclusion of a XFree86
> package to the cygwin-apps mailing list using the guidelines at
> http://cygwin.com/setup.html but so far no one has been willing to do
> that.

The first step is to build Cygwin-style packages. The second step is to
create a local install directory with custom setup.ini and packages. The
third step is to get it included into the standard cygwin install.

I thought someone already did the packaging. One question is do we want
to separate it into multiple packages. Another is what to name the
packages; xfree86 or xoncygwin would be good choices. I think multiple
packages is a good idea. Mainly so the server executable can be updated
without updating the other files.

  - Ian

--
iburrell@znark.com