RE: kde 3.0 no icons

 > I'm submitting a bug report to KDE to gather more information.
 >
 > I can reproduce this bug when I put my graphics card into 32 bit color mode,
 > but I need to know if any user out there with a graphics card capable of 24
 > bit color mode has this problem when they are in 24 bit color mode.
 >
 > Please respond ASAP if you can tell me whether or not 24 bit color produces
 > the same problem of no icons in KDE 3.

hi.. I've just discovered this bug when I upgraded to KDE 3 (and spent ages
installing every single KDE package, thinking I was missing the icons :-( )

Switching to 24 bit truecolor (instead of my default 32 bit truecolor) has
fixed
the problem. Using XVision on the 32 bit display meant that the pictures
displayed
OK (there are other bugs in XVision though!). I suspect that the fact that
XVision
doesn't offer 32 bit pixmaps is what makes the difference.

xdpyinfo output for cygwin XFree86 on a 24 bit display:

name of display:    cleveland:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    40200000
XFree86 version: 4.2.0
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    7
supported pixmap formats:
     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
     depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
     depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
     depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
     depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
     depth 24, bits_per_pixel 24, scanline_pad 32
     depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x1600017, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    22
     BIG-REQUESTS
     DEC-XTRAP
     DOUBLE-BUFFER
     Extended-Visual-Information
     FontCache
     GLX
     LBX
     MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
     RANDR
     RECORD
     RENDER
     SECURITY
     SGI-GLX
     SHAPE
     SYNC
     TOG-CUP
     XC-APPGROUP
     XC-MISC
     XFree86-Bigfont
     XKEYBOARD
     XTEST
     XVideo
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
   dimensions:    1146x811 pixels (388x275 millimeters)
   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
   root window id:    0x36
   depth of root window:    24 planes
   number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
   default colormap:    0x20
   default number of colormap cells:    256
   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
   largest cursor:    1146x811
   current input event mask:    0xd84031
     KeyPressMask             EnterWindowMask          LeaveWindowMask

     KeymapStateMask          SubstructureNotifyMask
SubstructureRedirectMask
     PropertyChangeMask       ColormapChangeMask
   number of visuals:    2
   default visual id:  0x22
   visual:
     visual id:    0x22
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x23
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

xdpyinfo output for XVision on a 32 bit display:

name of display:    localhost:1.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    Santa Cruz Operation Inc.
vendor release number:    730
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    8, MSBFirst, 16
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 16
     depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 140
focus:  PointerRoot
number of extensions:    10
     BIG-REQUESTS
     DOUBLE-BUFFER
     GLX
     LBX
     MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
     SCO(C)1996-VisionResumeExtension
     SHAPE
     SYNC
     XC-MISC
     XIE
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
   dimensions:    1152x864 pixels (304x228 millimeters)
   resolution:    96x96 dots per inch
   depths (2):    1, 24
   root window id:    0x24
   depth of root window:    24 planes
   number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
   default colormap:    0x22
   default number of colormap cells:    256
   preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
   largest cursor:    32x32
   current input event mask:    0x0
   number of visuals:    2
   default visual id:  0x20
   visual:
     visual id:    0x20
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits
   visual:
     visual id:    0x21
     class:    TrueColor
     depth:    24 planes
     available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
     red, green, blue masks:    0xff, 0xff00, 0xff0000
     significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Seeya,
  Adam
--
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write,
it should be hard to read, and even harder to modify.