Re: mkdll.sh

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:48:20 -0400
Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> You could probably do the following:
>
> get rid of mkdll.sh
> relibtoolize/autoconf using the "-devel" tools (e.g. make sure that
> configure.in has "AC_PREREQ(2.52)")
>
> ./configure; make;
>
> It oughta work. </famous last words>
>
> --chuck
>

> Harold Hunt wrote:
>
> > Steve,
> >
> > I'm working on creating Cygwin setup.exe packages for Gnome... I know, it's
> > buggy but I'd like to get a start.  One problem I'm having with your patches
> > is that they use mkdll.sh but they don't cause configure to copy the file to
> > a build directory.

> > Eventually I always reach a point where mkdll.sh can't be found because
> > configure didn't copy it to the out-of-the-tree build directory.
> >
> > Got any ideas on how to fix this?
> >
> > Harold

This port is really an experiment. It was started before the cygwin libtool was available, and before the auto-import function of ld was available, and it's showing that age. Chuck is right, mkdll is not at all suitable for a general distribution.
There are in fact several different incarnations of the mkdll script in the various gnome patches. glib was one of the first packages I played with, so it was done with the least knowledge and experience, and hence is one of the most inflexible.
You could try making the path to mkdll relative to the source tree rather than the current working directory, for example by using $(top_srcdir)/mkdll.sh instead of ../mkdll.sh in Makefile.in
Actually the next phase of my plan was to understand the use of autotools, and apply them to the gnome 2 packages. It should be easier there because gnome 2 has standardised on autoconf 2.5.x, whereas the gnome 1.4 packages use various old autoconf/automake versions. I have not been in any hurry though because gnome 2 is still changing much too quickly for me to have a hope of keeping up.

Steven