Re: pkgconfig [Was By the way... ]

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:55:50 -0400
Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

> What was the rationale for removing the included glib?  It was put
> into pkgconfig in order to break the recursive dependence: glib
> requires pkgconfig which requires glib which ...
>
> Granted, the version of glib included in pkgconfig is old (but it's
> capable enough for what pkgconfig needs) and has a one-line bug when
> compiling on cygwin; I just patch that and move on...
>
> Anyway, if your version of pkgconfig (0.8.0 + local glib) compiled
> gnome-vfs (on a particular date), yet the "official" cygwin version of
> pkgconfig (0.10.0) failed to do so:
>
> I would think the problem is either:
>    something broke in the real pkgconfig sources between 0.8.0 and
>    0.10.0 or
>    gnome-vfs (on the particular date) was either exploiting a bug in
> pkgconfig-0.8.0, or was otherwise broken.
>
> I don't think the answer is to use (and recommend) that cygwinners who
> want gnome use a old version of pkgconfig with a circular
> dependency...
>
> Thanks for offering to try with "real" pkgconfig-0.12.0.  You'll
> probably need to apply this patch (if you keep the included static
> glib):
>
> --- pkgconfig-0.10.0-orig/glib-1.2.8/gstrfuncs.c        Mon Apr 17
> 11:05:16 2000
> +++ pkgconfig-0.10.0/glib-1.2.8/gstrfuncs.c     Sat Feb 23 01:38:15
> 2002@@ -671,7 +671,7 @@
>     char *msg;
>
>   #ifdef HAVE_STRSIGNAL
> -  extern char *strsignal (int sig);
> +  extern const char *strsignal (int sig);
>     return strsignal (signum);
>   #elif NO_SYS_SIGLIST
>     switch (signum)
>
> I look forward to seeing the results of your experiment.

There was no circular dependency for glib-1.2.10. In fact when I ported
it I had never heard of pkg-config. Anyway, I have built
pkgconfig-0.12.0, with your patch, and gnome-vfs configure works fine
with it. So if/when it is adopted as the "official" cygwin version I
will remove pkg-config from my website.

Steven