Re: Unable to get french keyboard with XDMCP connexion on AIX

Sorry, I was surely not enough precise.

I know the xkbmap option and also the xmodmap.

But, when you run XWin with the -query option
in order to access to a X11 server (in this case an AIX IBM Server),
you cannot anymore use the xmodmap since it is not running
on your PC.

For the +kb, since AIX needs that you specify -kb (no xkb support
in XDMCP), then I was wondering if there is a way to compile
the XWin.exe with the "french" option by default,
that is to say, whatever the X11 server I am connecting to,
I will use a french keyboard (or another for other people).

I saw in the source :
there is some #define like
XKB_DFLT_KB_LAYOUT  "us"
Can I expect to get a "fr" running well here ?
I know, it is from xkb, so perhaps it will not work whatever.
So if someone knows the solution, at least to connect to an AIX
system?

Of course, I didn't mentionned, but I can't expect to change
anything on the server side, only on the client side, i.e.
the PC running Xfree. If I can do that, there will be a big
administration (government) using Xfree instead of a commercial
product, that's why I try top figure out...

Regards
FB

>  There are basically two ways of doing that both works....
>
>  Goto www.gotti.org for a little more detail, this are the basics (I
have
>  tested both and they work ok) :
>
>  1: compile a keyboard with your french locale : (this is an example
in fora
>  belgish locale  taken from an earlier append - change be to fr) :
>
>  > >	xkbcomp -xkm -m be /etc/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86 /tmp/be.xkm
>  > >
>  > >	XWin +kb -xkbmap be -auth "$HOME/.Xauthority" -emulate3buttons
>
>  2: use xmodmap with a french xmodmap.fr file (you can download a
redhat
>  xmodmap library from www.gotti.org)
>
>  You then just have to run the xmodmap /<location of your xmodmap.fr
>  file>/xmodmap.fr
>  Warning - you might recieve compile errors - i had to comment out
the 6.
>  line in the xmodmap.dk file to get it to work.
>
>  Hope this helps you.
>
>  I think all us from europe should try to get together and get the
NLS
>  thinngs to work on top of the great job the primarily done by Harold
- this
>  would really make a breakthrough on this side of the Atlantic ;-) -
if I
>  find some time I will try to sketch out the basics....
>
>  Med venlig hilsen / Regards
>  Franz Wolfhagen

- http://www.WebMailSPro.com - >>
VOTRE service d'email sans pub avec VOTRE nom de domaine