Re: "Legacy" Installation of XFree86/Cygwin vs. Setup.exe XFree86 Packages

Matt,

Well, after waiting a while for some feedback, I took the plunge. I don't
think there's a problem but...

When (or after) I run XFree86/Cygwin, my system develops serious stability
problems. The last time it happened, I first noticed that my dual-CPU
system was showing only one CPU in the Task Manager "Performance" tab. That
scared me, so I decided to reboot. More problem symptoms followed. When the
boot process completed the hardware scan and got to the point where the
"Welcome to Windows 2000" low-resolution splash screen would be taken down
and the monitor resolution switched, I instead got a long period of disk
activity, which I took to be an automatically invoked file system check (I
have all NTFS systems, so I'm not used to this happening and it alarmed
me). There was no indication of what was happening (as their ordinarily
would be for a checkdsk, either manually requested or automatically
invoked). However, once that was done, the system booted normally.
Nonetheless, I don't like things like this happening to my system.

Now, I assume XFree86/Cygwin has no kernel or driver components and that
this symptom points to a problem in the driver for my Matrox G400 MAX
(which is the latest driver). Over the past couple of years since I've had
this card, I've found that new Matrox drivers improve upon the old ones
(they've fixed some odd symptoms in Java GUIs and in Mozilla) without any
down-sides, but it appears that's not so this time.

Anyway, unless someone tells me that these symptoms really could have been
the result of problems in XFree86/Cygwin and that re-installation using
Setup.exe over an older "manual" installation could lead to this, I'm
assuming my XFree86/Cygwin installation is OK.

I downloaded and installed all the XFree86/Cygwin packages, by the way.

However, I'm loath to use XFree86 while this problem lurks. I have
comprehensive daily backups and all, but tempting fate like this is not my
idea of a thrill (that's what bicycling in urban traffic is for)...

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA