RE: lesstif mwm bug

Ton van Overbeek,

> Some more information about mwm.exe in lesstiif-cygwin-0.93.18.tar.bz2.
> The mwm.exe in that package (/usr/X11R6/bin/mwm.exe) needs the following
dll's:
> libICE.dll, libSM.dll, libX11.dll, libXext.dll, cygwin1.dll and
KERNEL32.dll.
> So obviously it has linked libXm and other needed libraries statically.

Excellent point.  I hadn't thought to look at the dependencies of mwm.exe.  I
will rebuild the LessTif package, hopefully tonight, to use static libraries
for now.

> Also this mwm.exe has the 100% CPU-time bug when idle.

That's good to know.  Interesting that no one complained before.  There must
not have been many people using LessTif's MWM on Cygwin before the setup.exe
package was created.

> One other thing: please keep the lesstif cygwin packages (on sourceforge and
> the 'official' cygwin-XFree86 package) synchronised: i.e agree on same
prefix etc.
> Maybe the sourceforge page should point to the official cygwin-XFree86
package in
> the future.
> I do not want to end up with mwm.exe in both /usr/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin
> and libXm.a, libMrm.a and libUil.a in both /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib.

This is sort of a 'growing pain'.  We'll be following the Cygwin standard of
using the /usr prefix.  I had discussed this on the list with Chris Faylor
and others and the conclusion was to use /usr as the prefix.  We will only
change this is some difficult problem arises for which there is no other
solution than to change the prefix for all the XFree86 packages.

After we get the static LessTif package released, and a few people confirm
that it works, I will contact the LessTif folks to let them know that
binaries for Cygwin are being distributed via setup.exe and that they can add
a link to the Cygwin home page instead of distributing Cygwin binaries.