TWM menus don't launch xterms

I only use my cygwin/xfree distribution as a display when using LaTeX on
a linux box. XDCMP is not (and is not going to be) running on the linux
box so I'm stuck with xhosts and setenv's.

Anyway I can't get twm to respond to application launch commands in the
menu.  Nothing happens, and as far as I can tell nothing goes wrong
either!  TWM is registering clicks on the menu as it will kill/bring
forward/send back etc windows but I cannot launch xterms or
telnet-in-xterms from the menus.  I have tried giving the
config file absolute (relative to cygwin's /) pathnames, adding a
"start.exe" before the xterm command and the commandlines I'm trying work
fine from a bash shell running locally.

I'm running Win95 w 256 RAM.  Cygwin was last updated around Christmas
time and I updated everything that it suggested that I update (but this
didn't break it!)  UK keyboard map (didn't work before I got the keyboard
working).  In fact it didn't work "out of the box".

Thanks for any help you can offer (and sorry for vagarities, email and
computer separated by approx 1.5 miles!)

--
Kirsty Hollingworth                               <keh112@york.ac.uk>
"The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men,