icons not showing

Hi

I just installed cygwin with xfree and am trying to use
it to connect to a redhat 7.3 box running kde 3.0.
I connect via XDMCP query. The login manager works fine
but when KDE is starting up text in the status dialog
(starting window manager etc) is garbled (every  status message
is written on top of the last message) and I get no icons,
not on the desktop and not on the KDE toolbar.
This is not a problem with other X server running on windows.

Cygwin version is 1.3.10-1 and XFree is 4.2.0-1.
My windows machine is running win2k with sp2.

Is this a known problem? Does anybody have a suggestion about
how to fix this?

Thanks
  Hrafnkell