Re: Texteroids (Minor Retraction)

--- Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 07:03:54AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > --- Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Huh ?
> > >
> > > libdps in the XFree86 CVS does not depend on "strict motif" at all,
> > > in fact it has no dependencies on motif, lesstif or anything 'tif.
> > > It all builds straight from the CVS - all open source.
> > Yes you are right for the core library, but some additional widgets
> > included in addon library require motif:
> >
> > The source code for libdpstkXm is included with XFree86; however, as
> it
> > depends on Motif, this library is not built by default.
> >
> > Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Right. And that's why I'm saying it doesn't depend on them. If you
> have them available fine.
>
> > > There is no DPS extension in XFree86 CVS either. Like I said the
> 4.1.0
> > > RELNOTES are wrong. Although, yes, http://dps.sourceforge.net
> provides
> > > an initial extension for XFree86. But that isn't included in our
> > > baseline tree.
> > So the release notes are wrong, I wrote this letter before I received
> your
> > clarification on that...
> >
> > > What are you ranting about the Open Group for here ???
> > >
> > > You seem to have really gone off at a tangent.
> >
> > Why am I ranting?  Because it is highly annoying that they have
> forbidden
> > using "OpenMotif" on Cygwin/XFree86 when they know full well that
> > Cygwin/XFree86 is NOT Microsoft Windows, but a platform of its own
> that
> > happens to run on top of MS Windows.  In any event, if you followed
> the
> > list, some other porting projects have been hindered by the lack of
> > OpenMotif or full Lesstif->Motif compatibility.  As I said you can
> > disagree, but it is relevant to the project.  I mean pressure needs to
> be
> > put on the so-called "Open Group" to change that policy.
>
> Huh again. Where did I say I was disagreeing with you. And why don't
> you think I follow this list ? I've been on this list for quite some
> time.

I'm not saying you disagreed, I was responding to your claim that this is
an irrelevant discussion.

> If you have some bitching to do about "The Open Group" that bitch at
> them. We already know the problems we've got here, or help improve
> LessTif which is certainly more productive.

This is your opinion, and you are welcome to it.  The whole point of the
rant was to let off steam and to encourage others to become aware of this
issue (not everyone has been on the list as long as you, including me, and
not everyone reads the entire archive start to finish).  Well, why don't
search the archives for motif?  Again I say, many do not realize that
having OpenMotif on cygwin is a good thing and would possible make porting
OpenDX much easier.  This list id for discussion, and I was merely giving
my opinion.  However, I say now to others who might read this: Whip off a
quick e-mail to the open group and let them know that how you feel
regarding their "decision" on OpenMotif.  As to why I don't help the
lesstif project?  I'm afraid I don't have the skills for that (I was being
sarcastic when I said I would port OpenMotif to cygwin).  I do have the
skills for discussing issues and raising awareness...  I hoped that, in
some small way, my little rant did this.

Cheers,
Nicholas