Gnome 1.4/ntsec question?

I have a fresh 1.3.10 install of cygwin on Win 2K SP1 w/NTFS.
I created a user account using 'mkpasswd' and 'mkgroup'
I downloaded current source and patches, and
 built gnome without errors as per instructions on Obrien's web site.
I created a envir. variable 'cygwin=ntsec' using the system control panel
app.

Using 'startx' to start up a gnome-session I get the following errors.

_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

ORBit-ERROR **: Wrong permissions for /tmp/orbit-y1tes

aborting...

I have searched the archives and and read the faq, but I am still missing
something.

Any Suggestions?

Has anyone had similar problems or success with obrien's gnome patches?