RE: significant delay in xinit detected

Hi Harold,
relating to the subject I've found some details:

In xinit.c/startserver() I found the following comment

		/*
		 * kludge to avoid race with TCP, giving server time to
		 * set his socket options before we try to open it,
		 * either use the 15 second timeout, or await SIGUSR1.
		 *
		 * If your machine is substantially slower than 15 seconds,
		 * you can easily adjust this value.
		 */
		alarm (15);

The problem is that if someone uses an .xserverrc file, which starts the xserver
as a sub process, the signal SIGUSR1 never comes to xinit and xinit runs into
the timeout.
A solution for this is

1) avoid a sub shell in .xserverrc :

$cat ~/.xserverrc
exec X <x-related-options>

instead of
$cat ~/.xserverrc
X <x-related-options>

This is described in some older docus like
http://www.stllinux.org/meeting_notes/1997/0619/startx.html

or

2) adding the options in the server part of startx

$ startx -- <x-related-options>

I've taken a look into the cygwin/xfree user guide
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-startx and found
nothing about this topic.
What do you mean, should this not be added to the startx section (at least
solution 1)?

Regards
Ralf