RE: Use Tcp.h?

--- Harold Hunt <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote:
> Nicholas,
>
> > We had this discussion in the past, and yes I *have* read the
> cygwin-xfree
> > contributor's guide and followed your directions WORD-FOR-WORD, except
> for
> > removing the NO_TCP_H and defining font building.
>
> You could not possibly have followed the Contributor's Guide (CG)
> instructions word-for-word because your build log doesn't have a header
> (see
> below), it just jumps right into the clean step.  In the CG the build
> step
> says:
>
> make World BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS="-D__CYGWIN__ -Ulinux -DCrossCompiling=1"
> IMAKE_DEFINES="-D__CYGWIN__ -Ulinux" > World.log 2>&1
>
> That causes the header information to show up in the build log... are
> you
> running something other than 'make World'?

No, I am following the directions.  Ok, my mistake again, I had been
capturing the output from my terminal aplication, not piping it.
Apparently the terminal application screwed up and chopped off the top.
Anyhow, I think we are missing the whole point of this thread, what were
*YOUR* findings.  You didn't make it clear whether making the
modifications to that one source file and removing DNO_TCP_H worked...  I
think we got caught up in my deviance from the contributor's guide.
Again, I'm sorry for not sticking to it exactly.  So what were your
findings from your build?  What is your conclusion?

> On a side note, I find it hard enough to remember all the
> builds/flags/compilers/etc that I'm using.  I don't have any space in my
> brain to store state information for other developers.  You have to feed
> me some details everytime you ask a question, else you can assume that
I've
> forgotten those details.

OK, next time I'll be better.

> > Anyhow, if you recall, you posted a log of your cross-compile awhile
> back.
> >  It turns out that in the log, the crosscompiler was never found, so
> all I
> > got was a log full of i686-pc-cygwin-gcc not found messages (not very
> > useful).
>
> I remember that I posted a broken build log because I forgot to set my
> path
> before running the build.  I thought about posting a new log but I
> didn't
> because no one seemed to complain much.

Don't worry about it now...

> > My point is that you should revisit your directions, as they do
> > not cover how to get X to build fonts when cross-compiling.  As it
> stands,
> > X is trying to use the foreign bdfto* and mkfondir utilities.  Also,
> the
> > XFree people have broken crosscompiling according to your method in
> HEAD
> > as opposed to the 4.2.0 branch.  You might want to investigate this as
> > well.
>
> Oh, I know that the XFree86 folks are doing some stupid things with
> respect
> to expecting certain XFree86 utilities to already be installed at build
> time.  I bitched about this to the devel list at XFree86 and you know
> what?
> I didn't get a single reply.  Not even a ``go away, you are annoying''.
> Apparently no one else on the project things that you should be able to
> bootstrap on a machine that has never had XFree86 installed.  Hopefully
> they
> fix this before the next release.

I see that my font building complaint is currently being addressed, thanks
very much.  :-)

However, are you aware that the CVS HEAD isn't even building period with
regards to your cross directions?  It fails in the initial stages, because
it seems that some of the macros you have defined in your host.def are no
longer valid.  If you do not believe me, try it yourself.  It seems that
they have mucked around with the cross building configuration files and
rules files.  We better get on them about that, too.  I believe that some
stupid SuSE developer is responsible for the whole mess...

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - When you get a chance, you should read those other posts I made,
especially regarding the conflicting files in lesstif and XFree86-prog...