Re: xfs (font server) crashes under cygwin. Anyone got it to work?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 05:01:52AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Chris + Greg,
>
> Check your e-mail, I just e-mailed both you and greg an xfs.exe with
> debugging symbols.  As for what version I'm running, it is the vanilla
> version that comes via setup.exe, a.k.a XFree86-4.2.0 on Cygwin
> 1.3.13-cygdaemon(special development branch).  Also, you might want to
> check your /var/log/fs-errors, incase xfs output anything interesting
> there.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas

G'day Nicholas,

One of the first things I did was check /var/log/fs-errors only to
find nothing there, however....

I don't know about you, but the executable you sent works just
fine for me! (So the debugging symbols are for nought, but making
the executable was not in vain!!)

I tried it on my laptop with XP, and on Win98 running under VMWare
on FreeBSD. Worked fine on both.

So I don't know what that portends. Can you give me a quick primer on
building just xfs from source? Then I can build my own and see if that
works. Possibly there might be a difference in the compilation process
when you are running 1.3.13-cygdaemon compared to my "standard" 1.3.12.
I know nothing about the build environment for the binary packages, but
it might be interesting to see how it compiled on my machine rather
than on yours to maybe narrow down the problem.

I had a quick look and it looks to me like the only option via setup.exe
if I want to make xfs is to download the full source for X. Is the source
a special tree for cygwin or could I copy over the source I already have
from the ports tree on my FreeBSD box? Is it then as simple as going to an
xfs sub-directory and typing make?

At least I know now that xfs can be made to work!! That means I will be
able to implement some of the things our local users need. Just need to
work out exactly why it sometimes fails.

Thanks,
Greg