Re: xfs (font server) crashes under cygwin. Anyone got it to work?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 05:01:33PM +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 01:51:39AM -0400, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 03:10:33PM +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
>> >I have cc'ed this to Nicholas since I'd like to know what version
>> >of X he was running...
>>
>> Actually, wouldn't you sort of assume that Nicholas is reading this mailing
>> list, since he responded to your first message.  There is rarely a need
>> to cc anyone unless they expressly ask for it.
>
>Isn't the protocol to cc someone as well as the list if they reply to
>you personally as well as the list (which he did to me)?

No.

In this case, it is obvious that Nicholas was reading the list.  Cc'ing
him would serve no useful purpose.  That's one of the reasons for my
occasional signature.

It is not 100% obvious that you aren't just sending email blindly to the
list and expecting to be cc'ed, however, I usually err on the side of
assuming that if someone actually wants help they'll subscribe to a
mailing list.  Obviously Nicholas didn't assume that.

>I'm new to the cygwin lists, but that has always been the case on the
>FreeBSD lists.  I'm happy to adapt my posting style if need be!

That was kinda the whole point of my pointing this out.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .