xfs font server crashing, help with debugging?

G'day all,

Against my better judgement (since I really should be working on
my talk and/or sleeping) I have compiled xfs with -g added by hand
to the xfs makefile.

Let me preface the following with the statement that I have only ever
used a debugger with fortran on a vax about 6 or 7 years ago. I've always
been from the "liberal sprinkling of printf statements" school.

I run with gdb ./xfs.exe.  I was expecting a command line
debugger, but instead got a fancy graphical one.

I hit (R)un, then (C)ontinue.

I get a seg fault before anything has appeared in the console window. I
hit continue and it says its in _libkernel32_a_iname.  If I netstat in
another window I can see that port 7100 is already open at this point.

I hit (C)ontinue again.

Now in the console I see the message about port 7100. If at this point
I do xset fp= tcp/:7100 I get another seg fault. This time I am
in waitfor.c at line 207:

pClientsReady[nready++] = conn;

The value of nready is 0 if I view local variables.
The "view stack" says only WaitForSomething.

I don't know if any of this is any use to anybody. I don't understand
why I get the first segfault. If I run without gdb I don't get a segfault
until I actually do the xset command.

Can anyone tell me something useful to do with the debugger?

For now however, I am really going to finish my talk and then snatch
a few hours sleep before I head off.

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. Where the hell is my core file? ulimit -c says unlimited so I
expected there to be one, but I'm stuffed if I can find it.