RE: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

Tim,

> How does this work, do I just make a package, and then email cygwin-apps?
> Is this valid for this sort of program, where it isn't even compiled using
> cygwin?

I haven't had any comments on this program yet because, while it is a neat
exercise and will be useful for other work, it will not be distributed with
Cygwin/XFree86 until it is written in a language that can be compiled with a
free software compiler, preferrably gcc or g++.

The reason for this restriction is that we cannot have any barriers to entry
that keep people without `Commercial Compiler of the Day' from contributing.
When I joined the project we had a DLL that was compiled with MSVC++.  I was
told that it was impossible to avoid using this MSVC++ because the
DirectDraw interfaces compiled in that DLL could not be compiled in Cygwin.
Naturally, the first thing I worked on, and succeeded on, was making the
DirectDraw interfaces compile under Cygwin without any MSVC++ compiled DLL.

Eventually I see that either XWin.exe itself will have the functionality of
your xlauncher, or we will have a stand-alone c or c++ program that provides
the same functionality.  Everyone here would greatly appreciate it if you
would start working on a c or c++ xlauncher.

Good luck, and thanks for contributing,