Re: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 7:08 am, Tim Thomson wrote:
<snip>
> I would prefer that xlauncher, or a variant be installable via setup.exe,
> so it can be used by anyone. If it means porting/rewriting, I'll give it a
> shot :) (There isn't all that much code there, most is just writing to
> registry, and reading it back. Which is another thing, would it be better
> to use a config file rather than registry? Currently, I'm writing to HKEY
> Local Machine, but should be writing to current user, so that people with
> few rights on an NT style box can use it. If I were to use a config file,
> where to put it?)

Personally, I would go for a config file.

As mentioned in another post of mine, I was working on a Python/wxWindows GUI.
I can send you what I've done if you are interested.

My most recent thoughts was to create a generic 'Remote X desktop' launcher,
which would run on Windows (with Cygwin-XFree86 backend) and on Linux/Unix
(with a XNest backend), and possibly Mac.  Further plans were to include
support for other remote display tools like VNC.

I was also considering switching to Java (due to better IDE's available),
although the discussion here as left me unsure.  Is the GNU compiler able to
deal with Java/Swing, or is Python/wxWindows a better 'pure open source'
option?

Anyway, Tim, if you want to do it in C/C++, I'll help test/debug, but I can't
really help code.  OTOH, if Python/wxWindows interests you, I'd help with the
coding too.  If you know C, Java and Pascal, I'd say you could pick up Python
in a day.  :-)

Rasjid.