Re: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:33:22PM +1000, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> Personally, I would go for a config file.

OK, but where to put it? A global one in the install dir, then write changes
to one stored in a home directory somewhere? That is an advantage of using the
registry, you can just use local machine for global, local user for personal
setup.
Perhaps reading from a file, writing to reg if needed would be an idea?

> As mentioned in another post of mine, I was working on a Python/wxWindows GUI.
> I can send you what I've done if you are interested.

Yes, please :)

> My most recent thoughts was to create a generic 'Remote X desktop' launcher,
> which would run on Windows (with Cygwin-XFree86 backend) and on Linux/Unix
> (with a XNest backend), and possibly Mac.  Further plans were to include
> support for other remote display tools like VNC.

This is a great idea. I was thinking of using a language/toolkit that I could
compile on my Linux box, as it it my main development machine. Delphi isn't
too bad, as it (sort of) works under wine. The only problem was the compiled
code didn't run under wine very well. It would be cool to be able to use it
under linux/unix (hadn't thought of XNest though).

> I was also considering switching to Java (due to better IDE's available),
> although the discussion here as left me unsure.  Is the GNU compiler able to
> deal with Java/Swing, or is Python/wxWindows a better 'pure open source'
> option?

I'm not sure with Swing. I could use C/C++ with wxWindows maybe. I'll look at
your code and see what python looks like, I've been meaning to look into it
more, so I may pick it up. :)

> Anyway, Tim, if you want to do it in C/C++, I'll help test/debug, but I can't
> really help code.  OTOH, if Python/wxWindows interests you, I'd help with the
> coding too.  If you know C, Java and Pascal, I'd say you could pick up Python
> in a day.  :-)

I'll see how it looks, if it looks like it will take me too long, I'll see
about wxWindows still with C or C++

I'll keep the Delphi one around, fix bugs, add the odd feature, use it as a
prototype for a more free one possibly. I was thinking of using a putty type
interface in the end (free windows ssh client), though maybe with tabs
instead.

Cheers,

Tim.

--