Shared and unshared libraries via the imake system

For any xwin developer:

This is not explained in the FAQ or the Contributors guide.  Can some
explain to me, if it is even possible, exactly how one generates both a
shared [.dll and .dll.a] and unshared [.a] library via the imake system?
How are the foo-def.cpp files generated?  If possible, this should be
added to the contributor's guide.  I do know how to generate the dll by
hand, but I would prefer to know if this can be done automagically by the
Imakefile system.

Cheers,
Nicholas