Re: [packages] gtk+, glib, imlib

Nicholas Wourms wrote:

So? Your point? I don't want to run linux on this machine. My question
above was partially a joke and partially a rhetorical one. I don't need
to be lectured on the joy and simplicity of the explorer interface (tho
neither seem to apply). Let's not turn this into a Microsoft lovefest. My point was that Rootless mode is a fluff setting, something that really
isn't that important. Perhaps a better use of time could be spent
figuring out how to profile and improve the performance of the X server? Or perhaps making truetype fonts easier for people to use in X?

Nicholas --
There are lots of worthy areas why Xserv on cygwin can be improved. You have your priorities, other people have theirs. Unfortunately, you ARE in the extreme minority, so you're going to have to sit back and watch rootless be discussed an implemented. Probably before TT or profiling or ...

Why?

Go read the Slashdot thread from Sunday, 7 July 2002. Almost every third message was "It's pretty good, but it doesn't have a rootless mode. All commercial Xservs on windows have one; this won't be a [serious|real|usable|finished] product until it does, too."

There was even one message that basically said "This thing sucks ***. It doesn't have a rootless mode". Okay, so the guy was a troll, but nobody contradicted him...

We even got two or three spill-over questions which were obviously stimulated by the Slashdot story, where folks we'd never heard of wrote to the mailing list to say "Cygwin Xserver is really cool, but I [won't|can't] use it until it has a rootless mode. When will that be?"

Finally, and most importantly, Harold *wants* to work on a rootless mode. He's scratching his own itch. If you want to work on TT support, nobody is stopping you. -- go scratch. <g>

--Chuck