From: Tom Bozack <bozackt1@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: 2002/07/14 Sun PM 02:38:37 EDT
To: duanestites@cox.net
Subject: Re: Xfree studder/pause and then segmentation fault

duanestites@cox.net wrote:
> 3 days ago I downloaded the latest setup from the cygwin website and
> installed the xfree components. My setup is a Dell latitude CPX with
> a Xircom cardbus network card running Windows 98SE. I am connecting
> to a linux box via XDMCP (I have connected to a Mandrake and
> YellowDog box with the same issues). After connecting and logging in
> everything works fine for 15-30min. Then the mouse starts to pause
> every few min as do the screen updates. This lasts for about 1/2min
> and then it crashes out to the CYGWIN dos box. The box states
> "Segmentation Fault (Core Dump). At this point windows is now
> exhibiting the same pausing every few seconds that I had when in my
> Xfree session. Once I exit out of the CYGWIN dos box everything
> returns to normal. I can then restart my Xfree session and
> everything will repeat itself.
>
> Is this a bug anyone has experienced? Thanks, Duane Stites

I've been having the same problem with various releases of cygwin/XFree86 for at least 6 months. This happens with both Windows 98 and Windows 98SE. I've not tried it with other versions of Windows. I notice that when the mouse starts to become erratic the system rapidly runs out of memory/swap resources as if there is a large memory leak. I've also observed that this situation occurs immediately (rather than after 15-30 min) when you logoff the host and login again without restarting Xwin. I think cygwin/XFree86 is a great product, but this problem very much limits its usefullness as XDMCP client.

Tom