Re: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Thomson" <tim@tui.dhs.org>
To: "cygx" <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 3:39 PM
Subject: RE: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

> On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 16:33, Harold Hunt wrote:
> > For future reference, the xlauncher-style program is on my list of
things to
> > do.  I want it done in straight C or C++ interfacing the GDI manually.
> > don't want dependencies on cumbersome libraries, and I don't want any
> > non-free compiler languages involved.  This xlauncher will remain on my
> > to-do list until it is written to the above specs, regardless of whether
or
> > not someone comes up with a really slick xlauncher that depends on
> > super-duper-library-foo.  I don't care about super-duper-library-foo, I
just
> > want to be able to spend a small amount of time in order to contribute
to a
> > program with an arguably small scope.
>
> So wxWindows is also out?
> I was hoping for a cross platform xlauncher, as it would also be useful
> under a linux/*nix system using Xnest.

I don't know what Harold will say - although I can guess :}.

What we do over in cygwin-apps when someone offers to provide maintain foo,
that depends on library bar which is not in the distribution, is to say
"Maintain bar - making it a .dll if appropriate, packaging it and so forth.
THEN, and only then, offer foo as a package."

In short, I don't see any particular problem with wxWindows per se, as long
as you make it easy for other folk to build and link and run against it
natively. This would involve at a minimum a shared library and a -devel
package with a static build and the headers.

Rob
"