Re: XDMCP Session Loops connecting to HPUX, stalls connecting toSolaris, from WinXP

John,

>>From the xterm session, I first do a 'xhost +' and then 'XWin -query
> 134.20.2.19 -from 134.20.174.113'.

First, follow the instructions in the User's Guide. I know that you aren't following the User's Guide instructions because you tried to run xhost, which is not necessary:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html

> When I do this, a new Cygwin/XFree86 window is spawned, showing the the X
> and gray background. This then turns black and shows the hourglass as
> though it was attempting to start CDE. This process then repeats a number
> of times, or alternatively, it happens once and then the window
> dissappears. I have also tried manually specifying the screen resolution,
> but the results are the same

Next, you should have searched the FAQ for Solaris, because you would have found some things to try (which also might apply to HP-UX):

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-solaris-fonts
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-xfree-faq.html#q-remote-solaris

> I have the latest Cygwin package installed on my WinXP box. Cygwin runs
> fine, and I am able to start XWin from startxwin.bat, startx, and
> 'startxwin.sh' . From the resulting xterm session, I am able to telnet
> into the subject HPUX and Solaris boxes and export individual apps to the
> Xserver on my box. However, I cannot get an XDMCP session to work.

For future reference, telnet is *very bad*. Telnet has no security, whatsoever; even your password is sent across the Internet in plain text. Use ssh instead, which works very similarly to telnet and even has compression:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html#using-remote-apps-ssh

One example command line to run from an xterm that enables X forwarding and compression (which really speeds up X apps) would be:

ssh -X -C username@remote_hostname_or_ip_address

Let us know if the FAQ entries are helpful or if you still have problems.

> I also wanted to say how impressed I am with everyone's work on this
> software. It is a complete and useful package.

You are welcome.