From: Harold L Hunt II [mailto:huntharo@msu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 5:01 PM
To: jppcurran@earthlink.net
Cc: cygwin-xfree
Subject: Re: Xt error:can't open display;ssh not passing $DISPLAY

John Curran Jr wrote:
> Several postings have suggested using secure ssh to display remote
clients,
> and that ssh should handle details such as passing  the $DISPLAY value.
> I'm using cygwin version 1.3.11 under Win98(v. 2).  I'm starting my server
> with startxwin.sh, the first line of which is  "export
> DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0".  That value is there when I echo at the local
shell
> in X11.  My ssh_config file is set to allow X11Forwarding.  I'm using ssh
> to reach a remote unix system.  I can log in but I can't display remote
> clients; e.g., I type "xterm &" and get the message "xterm Xt error:
cannot
> open display: ".  And, the variable DISPLAY is empty on the remote system.

> Am I missing something obvious?
>
> Below are  cygcheck.out, ssh_config, and startxwin.sh.

John,

Didn't you think for a moment that something of infinitly more
importance than the contents of various config files would be the actual
command line that you are using for ssh?

Post the command line that you use to ssh to your remote machine.  You
do know that you have to run ssh from within an xterm in your
Cygwin/XFree86 X server, right?