Re: Problems starting X server

Are you sure you've installed the XFree86-xserv package? To verify it's installed, check for the existence of /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe and a symbolic link at /usr/X11R6/bin/X that points to it.

Also, look for the existence of the file /tmp/XWin.log. If it exists, post its contents here.

I believe the instructions you are referring to are out of date WRT the "new" installation method via Cygwin Setup.

From: "Francis Barton" <francisb@ntlworld.com>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Subject: Problems starting X server
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 07:31:06 +0100

I have cygwin installed and working from the command line. I have downloaded
and installed all the required X packages using the standard Cygwin
setup.exe.
I am running Windows 98.

I have tried running "startx" "xinit" "startxwin.sh" and "startxwin.bat"
without success. An X window flashes up then disappears.

Here is my error message:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X"
in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and
that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display. Possible server names include:

XFree86 XFree86 displays

giving up.
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to
X server
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

/usr/X11R6/bin is in my path, but I'm stuck on what to do next to get X
running.

Also, I am rather confused by the instructions given at
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup-cygwin-xfree-installing.html and
related pages, which do not seem to apply to my situation.

I would gratefully receive any advice you can offer.

Many thanks,
Francis Barton.