RE: problems with XFree

> 3) within the first few hours of usage, I ran a "find / -name
> abc -print"
> from the command-line, and my trusty Windows 2000 box
> restarted.

If that crashed your windows box then that sounds like a bug in
either Windows 2000 or base cygwin - rather than the Xfree86 port.

> but i'm still amazed at how easily my robust kernel,
> based on NT
> Technology, came down.

You amazed that it stayed up long enough for you to run the cygwin
installer? ;)

One thing to look at is memory usage.  Cygwin is a bit hard on memory usage.
Could it be that your exhausting memory and that's killing everything?

> 5) it'd be nice if setup.exe showed the size (in bytes or
> megabytes, etc.)
>
> of each package (it's in setup.ini). on my 56 Kb/s modem,
> downloading a
> large, unnecessary file takes a painfully long time, but a small
> unnecessary file is not so bad.

setup.exe is a base cygwin thing as well.  You'll need to talk to
cygwin@cygwin.com
for that.

> 11) also, what's all that /b stuff about in startxwin.bat?
> gotos, etc. but
> there is no /b ! (there is no spoon either ;-)

start /b <app name> is supposed to start the app in the background.  This is
an NT only thing.  However, I believe that we no longer need to use this as
XWin does this anyway.  There used to be a bug where without this flag
server
logging was broken but that got fixed a couple of months ago.

Stuart