Re: Updated: ghostscript-7.05-1 (test release)

Harold,

Thanks for the sarcasm, but it was hardly warranted.  I was simply
restating the facts for those who were not involved.  Also, it seems
that you missed one of the points of that discussion, which was that
all things of XFree nature should be discussed on the XFree list,
regardless of whether it was released as a dual mode application or
as an X-only application.

> You seem to have confused the *directory* release/XFree86 with the
> *category* XFree86.  Go back and read my original response and you
> will see that I was trying to figure out if this package is more of
> a Cygwin responsibility, rather than a Cygwin/XFree86
> responsibility.

I was adressing your concerns over which mailing list this should be
on, who cares where it is actually located in the release directory.

And, according to the mailing lists webpage:

"cygwin: a high volume ... There are two exceptions ... questions
about the Cygwin/XFree86 project (or any X-related questions for
cygwin) should go to the cygwin-xfree mailing list (see below)..."

"cygwin-xfree: a list for discussion of all things related to XFree86
on Cygwin (Cygwin/XFree86). If you have questions about how to use,
configure, install, build, or develop with Cygwin/XFree86, this is
the list for you...."

If I were new and read this page, I think it would be safe to assume
that this list *is* the appropriate one for discussing this matter.
Considiering hew wanted to offer an extension to the ghostscript-x11
package.  Ghostscript is *not* in the XFree86 directory because it is
a dual-mode application.

> Of course, you are still right in pointing out that the
> ghostscript-x11 package should be in the XFree86 category.
>
> However, I was asking where the files were stored, not which
> category they will be in.  If the files are stored in release/,
> then they are of no concern to me.  If the files are stored in
> release/XFree86/, then they are my responsibility.

Ghostscript-x11 is in the same directory as the rest of the
ghostscript distribution, which is under /release.  Your requirement
that all packages that are XFree-related go under /release/XFree86
doesn't make sense.  Why should ghostscript be split up and have some
parts in /release/ghostscript and others in
/release/XFree86/ghostscript?  This makes things more complicated
then they have to be.  Anyhow, your argument that package discussion
on this list be limited to packages under /release/XFree86 is
contrary to what Chris and others have stated on the other lists and
the mailing-list webpage.  They claim that any Cygwin/XFree-related
discussion should be on this list.  His post was regarding
cygwin-ghostscript-x11 and cygwin-GSView (x11), which seems to be
awefully Cygwin/Xfree-related to me.

> The next reply I need is from Jack Larsen.

Well you're getting my 2 cents on this anyhow :-).  Besides, I
answered your query as to where ghostscript-x11 was located.

Cheers,
Nicholas