Re: problems with XFree

Harold Hunt wrote:
Harold, thanks for the suggestions.  I was hoping that oue of them would
solve the problem.  I checked and found only one cygwin1.dll on the
system.  It's dated 5 July.  I update frequently using setup.exe.

I agree with you assessment of Windows.  However, my problem isn't the
BSOD but XFree86 seg fault.  Windows keeps on working and the (apparent)
memory leak resolves itself after CFree86 croaks.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do on my end to identify the
problem.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Have you sent in the contents of /tmp/XWin.log from a time when this problem
happens?

Here it is:

ddxProcessArgument () - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1024 h 768
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000017
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per pixel
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - Not changing video mode
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - lPitch: 2048
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f BPRGB 5 d 16
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winScreenInit () - returning
winCloseScreenShadowDDNL () - Freeing screen resources
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows 95/98/Me
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 00000017
winSetEngine () - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - Not changing video mode
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL () - lPitch: 2048
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 00007c00 000003e0 0000001f BPRGB 5 d 16
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winScreenInit () - returning

Looks unremarkable to me, but I hope it tells you something useful.

Regards,
Tom