Re: Finally on Sylpheed

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Now that's a good idea!
> >
> > Has anyone heard what happened to the port of Evolution?  Someone
> > said (I think) that there was to be a port to cygwin?
> >
> Jim,
>
> The last I heard, evolution has been around for millions of years,
> give or take an eon.  Seriously though, I would be hard pressed to
> use that piece of s**t.  That turncoat Miguel deIcaza is being quite
> the hypocrite by keeping the "Exchange" server access functionality
> closed source (and for a fee).  You see I was in the community when
> the whole Rasterman/deIcaza merger happened and the e-desktop became
> gnome.  I rember how he evangilized free software and the opensource
> movement, and scoffed at anyone who didn't release the source to the
> software they were working on.  Personally, I will not use GNOME
> because of this [KDE is better anyhow], and if I could get away with
> it, I wouldn't use gtk either.  As for evolution, it is too bulky,
> too buggy, and just plain ugly.  Stick with Sylpheed or better yet,
> Pine!
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas

Nicholas,

	boy did I touch a nerve ;)

	As it happens I like both sylpheed and pine (especially the latter, if only that could become a GUI).

	However I have to say that Evolution is probably the strongest Linux x-mail client I've come across in all my years with Linux.  It's a real shame that deIcaza should have sold out in this way as it would have been a real killer application in the workplace.

Jim