Re: Finally on Sylpheed

Jim George wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:21:19 -0700 (PDT)
> Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > > Now that's a good idea!
> > >
> > > Has anyone heard what happened to the port of Evolution?  Someone
> > > said (I think) that there was to be a port to cygwin?
> > >
> > Jim,
> >
> > The last I heard, evolution has been around for millions of years,
> > give or take an eon.  Seriously though, I would be hard pressed to
> > use that piece of s**t.  That turncoat Miguel deIcaza is being quite
> > the hypocrite by keeping the "Exchange" server access functionality
> > closed source (and for a fee).  You see I was in the community when
> > the whole Rasterman/deIcaza merger happened and the e-desktop became
> > gnome.  I rember how he evangilized free software and the opensource
> > movement, and scoffed at anyone who didn't release the source to the
> > software they were working on.  Personally, I will not use GNOME
> > because of this [KDE is better anyhow], and if I could get away with
> > it, I wouldn't use gtk either.  As for evolution, it is too bulky,
> > too buggy, and just plain ugly.  Stick with Sylpheed or better yet,
> > Pine!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas
> >
> Nicholas,
>
>         boy did I touch a nerve ;)
>
>         As it happens I like both sylpheed and pine (especially the latter, if only that could become a GUI).
>
>         However I have to say that Evolution is probably the strongest Linux x-mail client I've come across in all my years with Linux.  It's a real shame that deIcaza should have sold out in this way as it would have been a real killer application in the workplace.

Everything De Icaza and Ximian does is open source except one peace of code
that is used to connect to an expensive propriety email server. Without this
connector thing evolution email client is fully usable and open source as is
ximian gnome, red carpet, mono, ...

Staf.

PS: Live would be so much easier when people would just try having fun with
computing and not consider it as some kind of religion. Live would be so much
easier when people would not try to tell to other people what they should like
or should not like.