Perfomance issues with Xwin

Hi. I've installed Cygwin and xfree86 in the hope of controlling clients
running on a remote machine. Both Cygwin and Xfree appear to install
correctly, only the X-server runs very sluggishly, averaging at about 3 or 4
frames per second.  This happens whenever I start the X-server, with or
without connecting to the remote machine. Slowness seems to be independent
of the mouse (meaning that even commands entered into xterm via keyboard
appear to lag)

Hardware:
AMD athlon 500
512Mb RAM
2Gb HD space Free
1x AGP TNT2, running at 1280x1024 / 32bpp
1x PCI TNT, running at 1280x1024 / 16bpp
1x PCI Matrox Mystique, running at 1152x864 / 16bpp

Software:
Windows 2000, relativley fresh installation, no firewalls or socket managers
installed (to my knowledge)
CygwinNT 5.0

. I've tried closing every proccess windows2000 lets me, one by one, with no
successs.
. I've tried disabling each display card in sequence, running at different
resolutions and bbp, no success.  Any time I have any trouble with software
that doesn't like me multi-monitoring, disabling the other 2 screens
*always* works.
. I've tried cygwin/xfree on a p200 with windows 98, got much better
performance, hence I assume my athlon 500 is up to the job.
. I've tried telling the X-server to run fullscreen and at various
resolutions and bpps.
. Re-installed DirectX, no joy

Any suggestions? or anything I don't know about? sorry if you get this
question about 5,000 times a day, but i've tried everything and really want
to use thise software - it looks like the most promising widows2000/X-server
solution avaliable.

cheers,

igloo@intravenous.d2g.com
icq: 13013913