Re: Troubles using XFree86-Xaw3d-1.5-1

--- Hans Werner Strube <strube@physik3.gwdg.de> wrote:
> Some months ago I built xfig with an easily self-compiled static
> libXaw3d.a.
> Now after installing XFree86-Xaw3d-1.5-1, I rebuilt xfig. This
> failed
> with a plenty of errors indicating multiple entry-point definitions
> (from Xaw3d and Xt) and auto-import errors (with respect to SME).
> The X
> libraries used were -lXpm -lXaw3d -lXmu -lXt -lXext -lX11 .
> Tentatively I omitted -lXt, which did not work either, resulting in
> an
> excessive list of other auto-import errors.
> Similar errors were reported before under subject
> "Problems with libXaw3d [Was: [ITP] FreeCiv-1.12.0-1 for X"

Try putting Xaw3d later in the link line, like:
-lXpm -lXmu -lXt -lXaw3d -lXext -lX11

Admittedly, I'm having some trouble myself now.  Its beginning to
look like there was a reason Xaw was compiled statically.  I'm trying
to track down some of the people who intially worked on this project
to ask why they compiled Xaw statically.  However, it is interesting
to note that there are no problems with compiling Xaw or Xaw3d as
dll's on OS/2.  I have a suspicion that some of the auto-imported
data is being messed up.  As I said to Lapo, I'm working on it.  If
worse comes to worse, I'll just re-release as a static library until
I can figure out how to fix the dll.

Cheers,
Nicholas