Re: Problem with running X apps

Kerry,

No, the encryption should not slow things down much. You may also want to try the -C parameter to ssh, which causes network packets to be compressed.

However, have a look at your network hub before starting your ssh session and see how many collisions you are getting. Lots of collisions on a network segment with less than 50 computers with active users at them is a sure sign of network misconfiguration. At one of my jobs we had 20 computers and at night, when no one was using the computers, the network collisions light was nearly blinking solid. All of this wasted bandwidth turned out to be due to Windows machines broadcasting to discover other Windows machines. Some of the machines were also setup with the wrong gateway/netmask so they would broadcast and not receive any responses (these machines also could not get on the Internet, which the other employees thought was just a fluke)... so those machines would broadcast-flood the network. Setting up a WINS server and making the Windows machines look to the WINS server first fixed the problem. After that our collisions light never blinked and we got about 5 times higher throughput.

Another tale is that my 100 Base-T switch hooked into the MSU campuses 10 Base-T network would occasionally give agonizingly slow performance between the Windows computer and the Linux computer when using XDMCP. During these times the network activity lights were not blinking anymore than usual, so it does not seem that someone was accessing my computers. Also, I was using a switch, so access times between local computers should be unaffected by traffic on the 10 Base-T network. Yet if I unplugged the 10 Base-T network from the 100 Base-T switch the performance problem went away. So, you should try unplugging everything else from your hub or switch once you have started your ssh session and see if performance improves.

I hope some of that helps,

Harold

Kerry Sanders wrote:
Thanks Thomas. This is the same thing that Jim posted earlier.

What I needed was the -X on the ssh command. However, does the
encryption really slow stuff down that much? I is really slow running X
apps like KDE, etc. over my 100 Base-T network.